- History of All Kings -
The All Kings is located in the former church of the Couvent des Grands Augustins founded by Saint-Louis (1263-1792)
A king of France is enthroned there
The All Kings is located in the former church of the Convent of the Grands Augustins founded by Saint-Louis, who installed the Augustinian monks there from 1263. This Convent became, over the centuries, the monument which knew the highest concentration of monarchs of French royal history.
It was here that Queen Catherine de Medici, of Italian descent, first brought pasta to France and to the table of her husband King Henry II in 1553. The gourmet pasta restaurant All Kings is the testimony of this upheaval in French gastronomy.
King Philippe le Bel held his first meetings there with the dignitaries of the Clergy . In 1368, King Charles V erected the massive columns of the church, still visible on all floors of the All Kings. Queen Catherine de Medici, wife of Henri II, will regularly visit the church to pray there and to meditate at the tomb of her daughter, Jeanne de Valois, buried under the choir of the All Kings, under your feet. This symbol of French royalty will also be the scene of disputes. Thus, in 1559, the Calvinist magistrate Anne de Bourg held in this place and facing King Henry II a diatribe against his policy of repressing heretics and called him a "bad Christian". King Henry II immediately had him arrested here, in irons, imprisoned and had him hanged before having his body burned before exhibiting it in the streets of Paris.
Seat of the highest order of knights of the French monarchy
The Church of the Convent of the Grands-Augustins will also house the Order of the Knights of the Holy Spirit, founded by Henri III in this place, on the evening of December 31, 1578.
These walls will then become the nerve center and spiritual center of this most prestigious order of knights in the French monarchy. Four hundred and thirty-one knights will be knighted here in front of the altar visible on the lower floor, Bible in hand, by the kings of France themselves: Henri III, Henri IV, Louis XIII, Louis XIV, Louis XV and Louis XVI, all successively Commanders of the Order. Among the mythical knights knighted in this place: Vauban, La Rochefoucauld, Chateaubriand, Richelieu, the Grand Condé, Saint-Simon, Talleyrand, the Polish king Jan Sobieski...
A King of France enthroned here
When Henri IV, first king of France from the Capetian house of Bourbon, was assassinated by Ravaillac on May 14, 1610 in Paris, his eight-year-old son, the future Louis XIII, was at the school of the Couvent des Grands-Augustin, in the inner courtyard of the All Kings. Exfiltrated and protected by the royal guard, he was enthroned in the hour King of France and Navarre opposite the altar of the Church of the Convent of the Grands-Augustins, still visible in the lower rooms of the All Kings. The same day, his mother Marie de Médicis will be appointed regent of France before the same altar. The Convent of the Grands-Augustins will host assembly places for the Parliament, the Chamber of Accounts or Justice or the general assemblies of the Clergy of France from 1615. The historic columns, a sundial, millennial engravings of flowers de Lys, the enthronement altar - which remained intact within All Kings Paris - and several tombs will survive the acts of destruction of the Revolution, thus constituting the last vestiges of this era.